"Mommy , can I share my voice with my older sister and give her just one ear?
I'll keep the second one for myself… It doesn't hurt… It's not fair that I can speak and hear. But she doesn't!"
– Laliko always tells me so, my baby, – seeing my surprised look, the child's mother explained to me with a smile.
Meet Teona Iarajuli, a loving mother of a deaf-mute disabled daughter and two other children, as well as the wife of a seriously ill husband and a daughter of an old mother. In total despair, she asks all of us for help!
This is where they live, if you can call it a home. The family was sheltered by a good relative of the husband. The family needed nothing back then.
Teona's husband, Grigoriy, worked and provided for the family. The children were fed and dressed. Trouble broke in like a robber, unexpectedly and viciously, about two years ago, in the most severe form of Grigoriy's diabetes, hypoglycemic coma, and after being discharged from the hospital, doctors completely banned the man from any physical work. As a result, now they are socially unprotected.
Despite all the grief and adversity, the family radiates love for each other. They told me a heartwarming love story... Then baby Laliko sang funny songs… And a little later, the whole family started to cry, so I started to cry too…
My God, my God! Help these suffering good and kind people!
– Teona, what is the main problem of your family? What happened and how?
– Money, dear! Poverty! We can afford only the most modest food. But the eldest daughter is disabled; she needs medication and special care.
– You said your daughter is disabled, you mean Mariam, right? What's wrong with her? Had she been born with it?
– Yes, I mean Marie, who is deaf and dumb, but not since birth. When she was two years old, she cried for something and cried, and could not calm down. I did not understand what was wrong, and took her to the doctor, and it turned out that the left ear had stopped hearing. Then the right one also stopped hearing. Gradually, she lost her hearing alltogether.
– How do you communicate with her?
– She's my daughter! My first child! For her sake, I learned to use gestures. And the children, Laliko and Nikusha, are used to it. They love their sister very much. I remember once, when Laliko was a baby, she said to me, "Why can I talk and my sister can't? Can I share my voice with her? It's not fair." It was painful to hear. All my life, I feel some kind of guilt that my girl is not like everyone else.
– Teona, it's not your fault! This happens, unfortunately. Is there any chance of recovery?
– There is a chance, we need an operation. But it needs to be made in Germany, it costs a lot of money, about 25 thousand euros. And we don't have that amount. We could also buy a modern hearing aid. They are sold in Greece, but they are very expensive: 1500 euro. Our meager income will never be enough for that. She would be able to hear at least something with the hearing aid. Knowing that there are solutions, but I can't provide them for my daughter, makes me feel even more guilt.
– What advice do you want to give mothers in the same dire situation as yours? What should they do if the child is deaf and dumb?
– I know one thing, in no case should you be angry with fate. We must accept this, learn and adapt to hear the child even without words. Do not show your child your dissatisfaction with the situation, and your nerves… They would feel guilty. Health plays with us as it wants to, did you know? It can happen to anyone.
– Earlier you've mentioned the income, let's go into more detail. What's your family's monthly income?
– 360 lari as social security and 200 lari for Mariam's disability. But you know, we only spend it on her, because Marie needs medicine. We eat modestly: pasta, cereals, and potatoes. But the kids never complain and do not ask for more. Sometimes my husband and I had to go to bed hungry, so that the children were fed. We save on ourselves to buy them candies, especially for Laliko. She loves sweets, for her sake we can stay hungry, as long as the daughter does not feel neglected.
– No one's helping you? Parents or relatives?
– No, I have no one at all, and Grigoriy has only mother and she is 85 years old.
He is so sick… He shouldn't worry. And he does not sleep at night, thinking about his mother, how to help her! God, I wish he won't die of these concerns. How will we live without him?
– Teona, you only ask for a computer for Mariam, but you have so many problems!
– I'm so sorry to ask. Probably, many people have even worse lives!
Reporter: I don't think so. So please speak up!
Teona: The house is dilapidated. You can see for yourself. Could you help us as much as you can? But the most important thing for me now is that my daughter could hear and start talking. I will tolerate all the rest. God will be merciful! We believe Him! Because he sees everything!
– I hope we will be able to help you. Have you addressed the authorities for help?
– I addressed the authorities. They provided social allowance, and we try to survive with it.
... While Teona was serving coffee at an old shabby table and telling me about her fate, her husband Grigoriy was playing with little Laliko in the next room. It was the high time to ask a question about love and romance.
– Teona, let's add a little positive note to our conversation – tell us about your husband, how did you meet?
Teona laughed sweetly and was about to speak, when Grigoriy came striding toward us. – You are asking how we met. Let me tell you! – And the eyes of a seriously ill person lit up with such happiness that you will not meet in the richest family in the world! Teona gave him an embarrassed smile.
Grigoriy: One day, we went to a picnic with friends. There were many of us. As we were laying out the food, I noticed HER. I immediately liked Teona, at first sight; she was very nice, young and beautiful.
Having uttered these words, Grigoriy again looked at his companion with a look full of love, and continued:
– Gradually we started dating. Dates, parks, cafes, well, as it usually happens. Soon we got married. It was ten years ago, and I remember it as yesterday.
Then it dawned on me that Mariam and Nikusha were more than ten years old. It was an awkward question, but I couldn't help asking it.
– But... Marie and Nikusha...
Grigoriy didn't let me finish my phrase, realizing what I wanted to ask.
– Yes, these children are not mine. But they are mine! Do you understand?!!! I am their father. And the biological father is not in our life!!! He meanly left my beloved. Is he a human being, is that a real Georgian? I don't want to talk about him anymore. He does not exist for us.
When I look at Marie, the girl I raised from a young age… My daughter! I want to cry… She is already a young girl, why cannot she live like the others? I never imagined that this could happen. I always wanted to provide for my family and I was able to do it, but now everything is not as I planned.
– I admire you. Can I talk to the kids a little now?
We got up from the table and went to the youngest resident of the house, Lolita (8 years old), who was waiting for her father, holding a stuffed monkey in her hands. This turned out to be an incredibly responsive and open little girl who was happy to talk to me and share her innermost thoughts. Laliko explained that the monkey in her hands was her favorite toy…
– Do you put it next to you at night?
Laliko (8 years old) – No, because I sleep either with my mother, or alone in the arm-chair. – The girl showed me her sleeping place. It was an old dilapidated iron bedstead on springs, covered with a clean but old and faded blanket...
– Aren't you afraid to sleep alone?
Laliko (8 years old) – No, I'm already big.
– What do you like to do the most?
Laliko (8 years old) – I like to prepare food!
– Can you cook? What is your favorite dish?
Laliko (8 years old) – I like to eat everything! But especially sweet things. My dad often brings me candies. I love my dad very much, I love him most of all, and then my mom, and then my brother and sister. I'm also a good salad maker, and my dad loves it.
In this kitchen, little Laliko makes a salad!
– Good girl! Mom said you're a great singer, isn't that true?
Laliko (8 years old) – Yes, I like to sing! I also would like to play the piano, but I don't have it now, but one day I will. I can sing for you, if you like
And she sang. While little Laliko was demonstrating her talent, I began to think, how can I talk to Mariam? The girl was deaf and dumb…
Meanwhile, Laliko finished singing. The girl told me that her dream was to become a doctor, because she wanted to treat people and help them, because "people are kind and she is also kind."
Now it was Nikusha's turn (12 years old). He was a young and serious man. Nika said that he loved to go in for sport and wrestling.
– Wrestling! Do you know that Georgian wrestlers are one of the best in the world? Do you have a favorite wrestler?
Nikusha (12 years old) – Yes, Zviad Zviadauri! He is very strong, I also want to be like him. I will be able to protect my family, especially Laliko. She is the youngest.
– You're a real man! What do you want to become?
Nikusha (12 years old) – A pilot. I want to transport people where they want to go. I would also like to see the whole world, and pilots fly to a lot of places.
– My mother said that you don't have a computer
Nikusha (12 years old) – No, I don't. Well ... Only the one they gave me at school. My mother told me that you can help us buy a computer.
– We can. Tell me, why do you need a computer?
Nikusha (12 years old) – Now we have online lessons at school and it is very difficult to study with school computers, they are weak and slow. And also to play. At school, the boys are always talking about different computer games, and I have nothing to say – I haven't even tried to play one.
– Do you help your mother and father?
Nikusha (12 years old) – Yes, I do. I do everything.
– Thank You, Nika. You're a good boy! Let me talk to your mother now.
– Teona, I want to talk to Mariam, can we arrange that?
– Yes, of course, you can tell me, and I'll ask her.
This was the saddest part of our long conversation. Mariam (15 years old) seemed to me a real miracle, her answers made me think. She signaled to me through her mother that she had three best friends. They all study at a specialized school. Mariam often calls them on her smartphone, the only one in the house. The smartphone is old, but the girls, like everyone at their age, can communicate, gossip, and have fun. How do they talk, you would ask? Via conference call. Yes, yes... it's true. They create a group chat, turn on the cameras and communicate like everyone else! Only instead of sounds they use gestures.
Mariam's dream is to become a hairdresser in order to make images of people, especially girls, more beautiful. Marie likes fashion and everything connected with it. Most of all, she loves her mother, because her mother talks to her a lot and supports her.
– Marie, tell me, what would you like to wish all the children of Georgia? – Teona passed the question on to the girl.
Marie looked at me and made several gestures with her hands. Teona translated: "I wish them all good health."
I tried not to cry, complimented her on her kindness and responsiveness, and continued my conversation with Teona. However, we do not have time to start, as Miriam took my hand. She stared at me and seemed to say, "help me"…
Mariam was making some incoherent noises. I couldn't hold back any longer, and the tears started to flow, and I hugged the girl. Grigoriy asked her to say the word "Papa", "Mama", and then my name, Nana… I can't tell you how hard she worked to make me understand what she was saying.
And Mariam repeated the words, each time rejoicing in the triumph… Mariam pointed to my tears and shook her head, as if to say "Don't cry!" and then Teona joined us, also in tears. But Grigoriy, as always, joked: "Oh, women!" and we burst out laughing, wiped our tears, and continued the conversation.
– Theo, your husband is wonderful. I admire your love, despite all the grief of your family.
– You know, now that I'm 32, I clearly understand that the meaning of life is still in love. If I didn't have Grigoriy and our children, I probably wouldn't have survived all this. He believes in the best, supports, and calms me. And I believe in God thanks to him.
– What are you dreaming about?
– I dream of my daughter's health! Teona burst into tears again, and I had to calm her down before she could continue the conversation.
– Do you believe in God?
– Of course, my dear, I am very religious. I know that God will not leave us, if this happened, then it was his will. I have learned a lot during this time. After her ex-husband left me alone with the children, after Marie lost her hearing and speech. After being in poverty. I don't give up and believe in the best.
– Do you believe in human kindness?
– I do! Otherwise, I wouldn't have come to you. I've always helped people when I could. I remember that the neighbors didn't even have money for food. I cooked food for them. They had children, and I tried to bring them sweet things. Therefore, I believe that my kindness will return to me, and I believe that there are people who are not indifferent to the grief of others.
– Why did you decide to apply to our Fund?
– I heard you're really helping. I thought it was worth a try.
Would you like to meet the friends of the Fund?
– Of course, God grant health to all who participate in the work of your Fund. You are doing a good thing and don't ask for anything in return. Thank you very much! Thank you even just for contacting us, for sympathizing with our grief. Mariam liked you so much, and I can see in your eyes that you like her, too. Believe me, if she could talk, she would tell you a lot!
Friends, it is extremely difficult to describe in a short material everything that I felt when I was surrounded by these wonderful, angelic people. They really believe in the best and radiate a sea of warmth. They are not angry at the whole world, and are looking for reasons to be happy. Just let's help them, they deserve it.
The family only asked for a computer for the children, but the children are poorly fed, and parents sometimes have to starve to feed them. These people live in unsuitable conditions. We can help them with the renovation and construction of several more rooms, so that the children could have a private space. Each of us deserves a happy childhood, not the bare, cold ground under our feet.
But most importantly, we can give Mariam a chance to hear. She wants to fully feel this world! God gives us a chance to show his kindness and mercy, let's use it!
Friends, we have no moral right to read this story
and not help these poor people! Let's pray for Mariam, Nikusha and Lolita, and ask the Lord together so that the life of this family would change for the better!
Let's support them, show mercy, give the children a chance to develop normally and have a happy childhood. You can personally visit this family and provide assistance. The children and their parents will be merely happy!
Call Teona, find out about her needs, cheer her up, support her, tell her that she is not alone and that nobody will leave them alone in their trouble! It is very important.
Here is their address: 7, Ilya Bakhtadze Street, Afrika District, Tbilisi. Tel.: 599 35 68 61
Dear friends, Chernovetskyi Fund initiates a charitable action: to help the Iarajuli family. As you know, the Fund does not stop at one-time assistance. Without children, the country and people have no future. Take care of the younger generation! Help them survive! "Write them down" as your relatives. And we are sure that the Lord himself will bless you.
And be sure to repost our publication. Let all your friends know about the grief of this family! It is very important.
God gives us the opportunity to take care of people who are not able to do it themselves. Not all people are the same. And not everyone is as kind as we are. Please, do not pass aside the sorrow of others! Unhappy people are given to us from above so that we can prove our faith to the Almighty not in words but in deeds!
Friends, there is one more request, if you know about the misfortune of a neighbor or friend, do a Charitable deed, write to us by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the account of our Fund:
(purpose: Iarajuli family). You can also transfer money from our website.
You can as well transfer money from the terminals of OPPA, TBCpay and ExpressPay. Find our Fund in "Charity" section. (You can learn about the additional rights and obligations of the Fund by following the link https://goo.gl/GY2Gus).
Just 1 call can save someone's life 0901 200 270
Let's think that by helping others, we take care of our own souls and draw closer to the Lord through the very sufferings that we experience for others!